B E C O M I N G V E G E T A R I A N:
Why You Should Do This
and How to Make the Transition
Quick Tips for Healthy Eating
The basis of a healthy diet is eating a wide variety of foods. Every day, you should try to eat:
- Drink plenty of water. Aim for about eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day.
- Eat breakfast every day. People who eat breakfast are less likely to overeat later in the day. Breakfast also gives you energy and helps you think and learn.
- Choose whole grains more often. Try whole wheat breads and pastas, oatmeal, brown rice, or bulgur wheat.
- Select a mix of colorful vegetables each day. Different colored vegetables provide different nutrients. Choose dark, leafy greens such as kale, collards, and mustard greens, and reds and oranges such as carrots, sweet potatoes, red peppers, and tomatoes.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit everyday. Be sure to eat a variety for great taste, nutrition and fibre.
- Use fats and oils sparingly. Extra virgin olive oil, avocados, nuts and nut butters, olives, and flax seed oil provide heart-healthy fat as well as vitamins and minerals.
- Eat sweets sparingly. Limit or eliminate foods and beverages that are high in added sugars.
- Have low-fat, low-sugar snacks on hand at home, at work, or on the go, to combat hunger and prevent overeating.
- Eat three meals every day instead of skipping meals or eating a snack instead of a meal. Remember to eat like a King for breakfast, like a Prince for lunch, and like a Pauper for supper.
What about a vegetarian diet? - next >>>